FIRST LEGO League Explore Program
The FIRST LEGO League Explore Program in Newfoundland & Labrador was piloted with 5 schools in the Winter of 2019.
FIRST LEGO League Explore covers many of the important learning content that is relevant to primary schools: the children learn to express their ideas and to find solutions in the group. The children communicate and present their ideas on a topic from the STEM area – which they have previously implemented together in a LEGO model and a team poster – pure teamwork! By engaging in STEM topics, children acquire initial knowledge of technical and digital education that will prepare them for the FIRST LEGO League robotics program.
Steps To Start FIRST LEGO League Explore Teams
STEP 1: Learn about FIRST LEGO League Explore
Each year in early August, FIRST LEGO League Explore releases a new Challenge for teams that focuses on a scientific topic. Teams are sent on a journey of discovery to learn all they can about the topic, then present their findings in the form of a team poster and a LEGO model with motorized parts.
While teams research their topic and create their posters and models, they are guided by the FIRST LEGO League Explore Core Values. This set of values, including sharing, respect for all, is what makes our Program so special. Our most important Core Value is “Have FUN!”
STEP 3: Form your Team(s) at your School or Organization
- Form a Team containing enthusiastic children of ages 6-9 years. Each team can contain 3-6 team members. A classroom may have 4 – 5 teams.
- One teacher / coach can mentor multiple teams, but a team member cannot be in more than one team.
- STEP 4: Register, Pay, and Order Materials
Your FIRST Partner will direct you on what materials are available through FIRST Robotics NL for your school and what will be needed to purchased.
Materials needed for an FLL Explore team are:
- Each class team needs an Inspire Kit. Each kit contains approximately 700 LEGO® bricks and elements, 8 minifigures and 6 base plates 16 cm × 16 cm). The Inspire kit is the starting point for the project work and the model to be built for the teams. Each season there is a new Explore kit. Information about this year’s season is HERE.
Guide for team meetings for coaches/teachers
- With the two Team Meeting Guides, we give the coaches all the information they need to prepare and conduct the meetings.
- Each team member receives an engineering notebook to be used by the team members to record ideas, notes and sketches and is needed at every team meeting. They will be displayed at the FLL Explore Expo.
In addition, each of team will need:
- LEGO Education WeDo / WeDo 2.0 Robot Set
- LEGO® bricks
Teams do not need any other LEGO® bricks and base plates in addition to the motivational set. But of course each team is free to use more LEGO® elements
For more information about the Team Costs and materials go HERE.